London Clay Pipe Studies

The clay tobacco pipe industry in the parishes of St Margaret and St John the Evangelist, Westminster

[ Next: Gardener's Lane ]  [ Contents ]  [ Abstracts ]  [ Home ]

 

Marsham Street (18001809?)

Robert Baddeley

In late 1799 or early 1800 the pipe maker Robert Baddeley took over a house on the corner of Marsham Street and Bennett’s Yard (Fig 14). The house (which had been empty for at least the two previous years) was assessed at a rent of £12, incurring a poor rate of 14s 6d. Baddeley also occupied a shop (his workshop?) at the east end of Bennett's Yard, but it is not so easy to locate this on Horwood's map; if it was not adjoining his house then it was probably the easternmost of the three terraced buildings on the north side of the yard, as shown on Fig 14. The shop rental was assessed at £4 and the poor rate at 5s 10d. 

Baddeley was born on 18 September 1775 to James and Mary, and baptised on 6 October of that year at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury, London (International Genealogical Index). He was apprenticed to the pipe maker James Woodroffe of the same parish on 10 January 1792, for the term of seven years (Hammond 2004, 27). He was admitted to the company on 7 May 1799 and on 25 March 1800 (when his address was given as Marsham Street) he was elected steward. The International Genealogical Index records the marriage of a Robert Baddeley (probably the same man) to Mary Ann Moreland on 29 March 1800, at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury.

Fig 14  Extract from Horwood's map of 1792–9 locating the house in Marsham Street occupied by Robert Baddeley

Unfortunately it is not clear how long Baddeley remained at this address. He was still there in 1801, but had failed to pay his rates for the previous year. In 1802 a James Robertson was recorded as the rate payer for both house and shop and Baddeley's name does not appear subsequently in the rate assessments for any other properties in Marsham Street. However, in 1809(?) he gave that as his address when he acted as suretor for the victualler John Anderson of the Fleece public house in Marsham Street. This is the last known reference to Baddeley in the Westminster records.

Baddeley took an apprentice, Francis Street, on 12 August 1801, by turn-over from Thomas Heardson. He took a second apprentice, Samuel Parr, on 1 February 1803. Parr had previously been apprenticed to the late William Scourfield. Baddeley became an assistant of the company in 1803, and signed the new bye-laws on 23 January 1805.

[ Next: Gardener's Lane ]  [ Contents ]  [ Abstracts ]  [ Home ]